Implement effective grading practices. Transform your school’s grading system into one that really shows what students know and can do. Your team will explore specific aspects of standards-based grading implementation, from identifying prioritized standards and creating proficiency scales to creating aligned high-quality assessments and revising report cards. Each step of the process is thoroughly explained. Our goal is for you to leave understanding how to create vertical and horizontal alignment in your school along with a viable and guaranteed curriculum so you can ensure a high level of reliability between and within all grade levels.
Assessment Leads to Achievement
There are many styles and methods of assessments. You’ll find out how to determine which style best fits your students’ readiness levels; how to design assessment tools and tasks that provide credible evidence of mastery; how to direct your teaching in response to students’ needs; and how to dispense feedback that can transform student learning.
What’s in a Grade?
Providing fair and accurate grading requires rejecting what most of us have learned about traditional grading practices. We’ll discuss grading strategies that are designed to work with your current curriculum, while allowing for the evolution of your pedagogy. We’ll dissect what a grade really means and explore ways to ensure your grading is both accurate and useful. And we’ll explore how to get the most out of grading scales by applying them in ways that accurately and fairly reflect what your students are learning.
A Meaningful Difference
You’ll learn what makes a meaningful grade, methods for evolving your current classroom practice and curriculum to include regular assessments, and how standards-based grading and assessment lead to a more accurate measurement of student achievement. Plus, you’ll leave with practical steps and strategies for guiding your fellow educators, students, and parents through the implementation of a standards-based grading system.
Standards-Based Grading Flyer
For more information, download this pdf flyer.
Can’t make the live workshop?
Enroll in our online education course for PD training anytime, anywhere!
Learn what growth mindset is, how it impacts the learning process, and how implementing it in your classroom can lead to increased motivation and achievement.
Participants in this workshop will:
- Investigate ways to determine meaningful grades
- Build professional knowledge of standards-based grading and assessing
- Explore concrete steps for implementing standards-based grading
- Learn the importance of foundational work to include priority standards, proficiency scales, and quality assessments
- Review the rationale and process for prioritizing standards
- Learn to build teams of educators who prioritize standards and write proficiency scales that are connected to those standards
- Examine current grading practices and how they relate to student learning
- Explore ways to increase levels of student achievement
- Discover three kinds of assessment and learn how educators can use each type as an effective part of a standards-based grading system
- Learn how to create and refine quality classroom-based assessments
- Connect formative assessment practices with grading practices that accurately reflect student achievement
- Analyze report cards that clearly communicate student progress and achievement
- Track student progress for a better overall picture of performance
- Connect standards-based grading to the bigger picture of school reform
- Discover how to lead this transformational work in your school or district
Who Should Attend?
- K-12 English-Language Arts Teachers
- K-12 Content-Area Teachers
- Literacy coaches and coordinators
- Title I teachers and directors
- ELL teachers
- Special education teachers
- K-12 gifted and talented teachers
- K-12 administrators (Principals, Assistant Principals, Curriculum Directors)
Download Course Flyer
Early Bird Pricing $189*
Early bird discount! Register 15 days in advance.
Register here today or send an email to your team.
Early bird discount!
Register 15 days in advance.
Send a Team & SAVE!
- 5% OFF groups of 3-9 registrants (per day)
- 10% OFF groups of 10 or more registrants (per day)
For room reservations, please mention “Strobel Education” to receive a discounted rate.
Administrators attend FREE!
With paid registration of at least one staff member, ONE administrator (building principal, assistant principal, curriculum director, or superintendent) may attend workshop at no charge. (Registration is still required and substitutions are not permitted.)
“Absolutely awesome! Unlike other workshops, Strobel Education makes the material easy to understand and implement quickly into your instruction. Kim is a wonderful person and an awesome presenter.”
– Dana Campbell, 4th Grade Teacher, Sharon Elementary School
Continuing Education Credit/PGP
Participants may receive credit for 6 hours of professional development for each one-day workshop. At the conclusion of the day, or after online evaluations have been completed, attendees will receive a certificate of completion which can be used to verify attendance.