CLASSROOM STRATEGIES TO CHECK FOR UNDERSTANDING
“If we want our students to thrive in the complex, unpredictable world of the 21st century,” writes formative assessment expert Dylan William, “we must concentrate on increasing educational achievement by increasing the quality of the teachers in our schools.” And that begins by incorporating regular formative assessment into the classroom. You’ll see your instruction strengthened and student learning improved—during the learning process.
Many teachers fear that devoting time to check for understanding along the way comes at a sacrifice of the curriculum and the ability to cover more, more, more. In reality, formative assessment provides the opportunity for teachers to make adjustments to their instruction minute-by-minute, day-by-day and allows for students to engage more meaningfully with the information. You’ll be able to determine what your students already know, what they need to know, and what kind of instruction will prove most effective.
In this workshop, we’ll investigate how to create the most effective learning environment through the use of: classroom questioning, learning intentions and success criteria, feedback, collaborative and cooperative learning, and self-regulated learning. You’ll leave with not only the techniques for effective classroom formative assessment, but also an understanding of how to use them to improve teacher practice and student achievement.
Formative Assessment Flyer
For more information, download this pdf flyer.
Early Bird Pricing $189 *
* Early bird discount! Register 15 days in advance.
Who Should Attend?
- K-12 English-Language Arts Teachers
- K-12 Content-Area Teachers
- Literacy coaches and coordinators
- Title I teachers and directors
- ELL teachers
- Special education teachers
- K-12 gifted and talented teachers
- K-12 administrators (Principals, Assistant Principals, Curriculum Directors)
- Early bird discount! Register 15 days in advance.
- For room reservations, please mention “Strobel Education” to receive a discounted rate.
- Save $10/person: When you register with a team of 3 or more! Contact us to make arrangements for registration.
- Administrators attend FREE! With paid registration of at least one staff member, ONE administrator (building principal, assistant principal, curriculum director, or superintendent) may attend workshop at no charge. (Registration is still required and substitutions are not permitted.)
Continuing Education Credit/PGP
Participants may receive credit for 6 hours of professional development for each one-day workshop. At the conclusion of the day, or after online evaluations have been completed, attendees will receive a certificate of completion which can be used to verify attendance.